Minggu, 29 Maret 2009

UBUNTU 9.04 BETA RELEASED!

Ubuntu was announced the release of Ubuntu 9.04 (Codename : Jaunty Jackalope) Beta. The final version will be released in April, 23 2009. If you want to fell the new feature and new experience early, you can download this Beta version for testing purpose from the official Ubuntu website at www.ubuntu.com or from your favorite Ubuntu mirror. In this post, I want to describe what is the new feature and experience about Ubuntu 9.04 Beta from the installation process until the included applications.

The first is from the installation process. Not so different from the previous version. The only change from 8.10's Ubuntu Installer is there are more warning or notices messages in partitioning and creating user step. If you are using the weak password, the Ubuntu Installer will warning you that you are using the weak password (like in OpenSuSE installer). Also, if you choose to remove all partition in partitioning step, you will noticed that all of the operating systems will be deleted.

The good news is the new generation of ext filesystem (Ext4) had been integrated in Ubuntu Installer and used as default filesystems. This filesystem is more efficient than ext3. But in my test, I didn't choose this filesystem. I will report to you next time what can I fell with the ext4 filesystem.

The second is from the booting process after installation to harddisk. I fell that the booting time is quicker than the previous version. In my Acer 4330 (Celeron M, 512MB RAM) notebook, the boot time is 00:31.20 seconds from selecting the OS from GRUB until the login window show. Not only the booting time, but also the login time is more quicker. If I active the compiz, I could get 00:18.23 seconds in login process until all components of desktop show. And if I inactive the compiz, I could get about 1/3 of the time that I got when I active the compiz (00:06.65 seconds).

The third is the Look & Fell in the desktop. The desktop was not different from the previous version. But I felt that the the desktop's font are bigger and smother. The new feature in desktop is the new notification message. It's not like a balloon like in Windows XP. How I describe this? :-/ OK, This is the sample screenshot of the now notification message :

The last is from the included software. The new Ubuntu version will included the new version of software, of course. Ubuntu 9.04 Beta has a lot of new software, like : Linux 2.6.28-11, GNOME 2.26, OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, Firefox 3.0.7, GIMP 2.6.6, F-Spot 0.5.0.3, Pidgin 2.5.5, and many more.

That just what can I say about Ubuntu 9.04 Beta. It so amazing. Once again, if you inpatient to wait, you can download the Beta version Now!

2 komentar:

  1. Hmm, Mas postingnya apa nggak telat :)
    Skrg kan udah bulan Juni 2009.

    But, good job to spread Ubuntu, keep the good job :)

    BalasHapus
  2. walah, saya nulis udah lama ini..sebelum jaunty dirilis..cuman baru muncul di planet...coz, aku baru ngedaftar di planet iki...

    *Bukan salah saya*

    BalasHapus