Sabtu, 21 Maret 2009

LTSP EXPERIMENT WITH IBM NETVISTA CLIENT

In January 2009, 10 of old IBM Netvista PC + 1 small client computer came to my school, SMA Negeri 1 Semarapura. That PC was donated by AOSI (Indonesia Open Source Association) and Danamon Peduli to successing the LTSP implementation project in Klungkung regency. I had a job to install the Ubuntu to the server and connecting all of the computer using LAN. Because the job, I must leaved the class for one day.

After I installed the Ubuntu 8.10 in the server with some fix, I try to boot the IBM Netvista client using the network boot. The network boot feature has built-in in the computer. This feature could detect the server and loading the kernel. But, after loading the kernel, it stuck by leaving the crazy message, like a machine language. Weeeewwww. Then, I tried to downgrade the Ubuntu 8.10 to the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS because I thought that the problem caused by incompatibility of kernel. The result? Just same like before. I asked this problem to the Bali Open Source Society in Univerity (BOSS) of Udayana, Badung, Bali.

Finally, BOSS comunity gave me the solution. I had to use another network boot software like gPXE or Etherboot. Next, I browsed to www.rom-o-matic.net to find the gPXE software. I choosed the “all:drivers” selection for the compatibility of all LAN Card. Then, this software I copied to the floppy disk by using dd command in Ubuntu and use the floppy disk for the booting process. The result? Wow, successfully. The client wasn't stuck again and I could see the Ubuntu splash screen until the login screen appear.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar